Monday, February 7, 2011

God's promise to me

Last night, I attended a church service called "Light My Way". It's a small church that meets in the back of the big church that is providing the shelter I stay in. "Light My Way" is designed for people dealing with addictions and who are on parole or probation. 

This minister  quoted many scriptures, but one stuck out to me and spoke to my situation personally. It was Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord God, to prosper you and not to do you harm." The passage goes on to talk about the blessings that await God's people when he brings them out of exile.

I feel as though I am in a kind of exile right now. I had so many dreams in the place where I was living before that I have had to release, thinking that they were dead forever. That scripture brought back the hope that "All things are possible with God." and that it is even possible for God to restore the good dreams he gave me from before.

You see I believed for years that he was going to give me the land where I was living, that I would one day own the home that I was living in, and that he would bless me there and use me for his purposes. I carried this dream for over a decade, and many people tried to convince me that I was wrong and that God did not want to give me that piece of land. However, my reason for holding onto this dream was because of the way it came to me.

It was the one time that I actually heard an audible voice of God speak to me. I was despondent. My dad had just died and it looked as though I would be homeless again. I spread a small amount of my dad's ashes on the property where I was living, and asked God to bless that land and all the people who would ever live there. It was then that I heard his voice. 

I was kneeling down and praying. The voice came to me from behind. It was as if someone had walked up behind me and spoke from a standing position. The voice was above my head, but it clearly had an external direction to it.

I remember a simple clear, male voice tell me, "You will never have to move again." That was it. I stood up and looked around. No one was there. I prayed and asked God if it was him speaking to me, and I heard another message, "I will give this land to you." 

I began to argue with God, explaining to him all the reason's why this was such an improbable proposition. The last message I heard from God that day was this, "I am God. My word is sufficient."

His promise is alive in me again this morning, and I feel the joy of the Lord. To trust in him is a good thing, always.  My exile has a limited number of days, and God is my resource in all ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment